Free School Meals
SCHOOL MEALS COST £2.30 (£11.50 per week) EACH DAY
Meals are provided free to children in Reception, Year One and Year Two. Other year groups pay £2.30
In addition to the menu below, Jacket Potato (with choice of filling) and Lunch Bags are
available every day for the same price.
Lunch Bags include:
- choice of sandwich (tuna, cheese, ham or egg mayo)
- cake or biscuit of the day
- piece of fruit
Schools receive additional funding for pupils registered with Cheshire East Council for income-related free school meals. Over the last two years our funding has dropped, because some parents mistakenly think that there’s no point applying for income-related free school meals, since Infant pupils get Universal Free School Meals.
Each successful income-related free school meal application raises up to £1,300 for Hungerford Primary Academy to fund valuable support like extra tuition, additional teaching staff or after school activities.
Am I Eligible for Free School Meals?
Cheshire East award free school meals to families that receive the qualifying incomes as outlined below, and whose children attend a Cheshire East school. Even if your child already receives Universal Free School Meals, Hungerford Primary Academy still benefits from your successful Free School Meals application.
- support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed £16,190.
- If you have recently become unemployed or have reduced your working hours and have been granted the four week working tax credits run on, then you may be entitled to free school meals. Please call the Schools Team on 0300 123 5012 for advice.
It should be noted that children who receive “education suitable for children who have not attained compulsory school age” will still need to satisfy the additional requirement of “receiving education both before and after the lunch period”, before being eligible to receive free school meals.
If You Think You Are Eligible
All you have to do is phone the number below and Cheshire East will let you know if the children in your care are entitled to Free School Meals.
Please check you entitlement NOW by phoning the helpline number below:
- Free School Meals Helpline – 0300 123 5012.
- Alternatively you can complete the Free School Meals enquiry form online, by following this link: http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/schools/free_school_meals.aspx
CE will assess your claim using our eligibility checker to confirm your entitlement; if successful your claim will begin the same day. If your claim is not successful or if they require any further information, they will contact you by phone or email.